On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:42:10 -0500, Carroll Grigsby wrote
> On Sunday 08 February 2004 11:53 am, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > I have a new motherboard with an onboard VIA VT8233 sound card.  I have
> > installed MDK 10 beta 2.  Looks great, runs fast, but no sound.  I have
> > run alsamixer to ensure volumes are up (although I didn't see a 'master'
> > volume category.).  I've also looked at kmix to see if the volume levels
> > are right there, and that it is not muted.  The MCC Hardware section
> > shows the card, and it's using the snd-via82xx driver.
> >
> > Not sure what else to check (the speakers are plugged in and this is a
> > dual-boot machine currently with Win2000 where I can get sound).  Hoping
> > that someone else had similar onboard sound and could point me in the
> > right direction.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Trey:
> I have one of those critters, and while I was finally able to get
> some sound out of it, it was at a very low volume level. I finally
> took the coward's way out and installed an old Creative card. If
> you're not as lazy as I am, this old posting from Derek Jennings
> that may be of help to you:
>
> > From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: [newbie] no sound with mandrake 9.1
> > Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:47:31 +0100
> >
> > > On Saturday 20 Sep 2003 7:31 pm, MACY, NIALLEN C wrote:
> > > I am getting no sound with my VT8233 [AC97 Adio Controller] sound card.  i
> > > have run the config tool and sometimes i get sound and others i dont.  I
> > > just went to the via tech website and downloaded those drivers and it
> still
> > > doesnt work.  does anyone have any ideas on what i should do?
> >
> > I have that sound card.
> > Try setting your /etc/modules.conf like this:-
> >
> > # ALSA portion
> > alias char-major-116 snd
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> > # module options should go here
> > # OSS/Free portion
> > alias char-major-14 soundcore
> > alias sound-slot-0 snd-0
> > # card #1
> > alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> > alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> > alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> > alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> > alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> > below snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-oss snd-pcm-oss
> >
> > There is lots of good info at
> >
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
> >
> > derek
> >
> -- cmg

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc proved to be the ticket.  Afer more than
a year of poking this MSI KT3 Ultra on board sound, I now have glorious sound
at regular volumes.

Here's what I did (Some or all of these steps may be required):

Went to the www.alsa-project.org site, looked up VIA -> via8233 details.

Downloaded alsa-driver-1.0.2, alsa-lib-1.0.2, alsa-utils-1.0.2

Set services 'alsa' and 'sound' to not start on boot.  Removed all sound
related stuff from /etc/modules.conf.  Then rebooted to make sure all sound
configurations (from previous attempts) were clear.

Followed the instructions in the details:

alsa-driver-1.0.2
# tar -xjf alsa-driver-1.0.2
# cd alsa-driver-1.0.2
# ./configure --with-cards=via82xx --with-sequencer=yes;make;make install

alsa-lib-1.0.2
# tar -xjf alsa-lib-1.0.2
# cd alsa-lib-1.0.2
# ./configure;make;make install

alsa-utils-1.0.2
# tar -xjf alsa-utils-1.0.2
# cd alsa-utils-1.0.2
# ./configure;make;make install

Then insert new modules:
# modprobe snd-via82xx;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe
snd-seq-oss

Finally run alsamixer to set volume levels, in particular 'Master', 'Master M'
and 'PCM'.  And add options to /etc/modules.conf as described above:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
# module options should go here
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-0
# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Create file /etc/asound.conf (which never existed before) with:

pcm.snd-via8233 {
   type hw
   card 0
}
ctl.snd-via8233 {
   type hw
   card 0
}

Finally, selected service 'alsasound' to start on boot (not 'alsa' or
'sound').  'alsasound' was created by the alsa-utils that was downloaded.

When I rebooted the computer, sound was coming through, but kept doing a crazy
looping sample effect.  Reading through the alsa doc details a bit further I
discovered note to set acpi=no.  So I went into the boot config, set acpi=no
and rebooted again.  Now sound is clear as a bell, distortion free and at full
volume.  I can't say if it's stereo, and I can't say if the I've got 6 speaker
surround sound, but I've got decent sound and that's more than I've been able
to say about this board for a very long time.

I'm not sure what the trick is.  You may not have to go through the download
and compile process.  In the past I've managed to get low volume sound (mixers
didn't do anything), and loopy sample sound.  I suspect that the default
Mandrake sound setup may have worked properly if (A) I had the
/etc/asound.conf file (B) the alsasound service script and for sure (C)
acpi=no in the kernel boot options.  The alsa supplied alsasound service
script is not too different from the Mandrake alsa service script, but it's
definitely more up to date.

I might suggest that the Mandrake developers either drop the current alsa and
sound services (it's really confusing to have two anyway) and stick with the
factory alsasound service.

Joy is such a small word to sum up how I feel about getting proper sound out
of this board :)

Scott

--
Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!
(http://www.littlefish.ca)