On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:14:42 +0000 (GMT)
Tadimeti Keshav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I wonder if I can install and run Mandrake 9.1 on a
> machine with a Pentium 200 MMX, 64MB RAM and 10 GB
> HDD.
>
> I believe the processor and RAM will limit the
> usability of the machine. Can I install MDK without
> KDE/GNOME? My experience has been that MDK would
> install KDE whether you want it or not.
>
> What I want is a lean installation with Window
> Maker/FluxBox as window managers and the ability to
> play sound and connect to the internet.
>
> sound = the box has a soundblaster 16 compatible.
>
> BTW, does MDK 9.1 have a PPP program to connect to the
> internet (other than the excellent KPPP).
> wvDial gave me a lot of headaches.
>
> I tried FreeBSD 5.1(Slack was plain too tough).
> But sound needs a kernel compile and I have reached a
> dead end with linking failure. (the .o files wouldn't
> link).
>
> thanks

Yes you can install Mdk 9.1 on a 200MHz Pentium with 64MB of RAM

As you knw it will not be very fast.
You can install without KDE or Gnome. In the package select screen there is a tick box
for individual package selection. In there you can select Window
Maker/Enlightenment/IceWM/Blackbox or XFce.  Fluxbox is not on the CDs but is
available for download from a 'Contrib' mirror  (although mirrors for 9.1 are fairly
hard to find now)

When selecting packages to install try to avoid anything beginning with 'k' since
running any KDE application requires loading the KDE libraries which will slow you
down quite a lot. There are fast light weight alternatives for most applications yoou
might need.

HTH

derek