Friday 13 February 2004 4:25 pm, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> On Friday 13 February 2004 19:32, Charlie Mahan wrote:
> > This pissing contest over mc vs emacs vs vi vs what the hell ever is
> > never going to go away, nor does it seem that it will ever change the
> > decision of the person in charge of deciding what is included in the
> > disks.

The referenced pissing contest is the one that continually springs to life on
the cooker mailing list HarM.

After my re-reading of my message it does seem that the statement was directed
at your comments; but it isn't. It's directed at those that (like myself)
read every Mandrake list available within time constraints; then when they
"lose an argument" they pop over to another list looking (apparently) for
someone to agree with them.

> Hey Charlie, I never thought this was a pissing contest, though admittedly
> I am/was pissed of at the omittance (is this double mm or double
> tt?....spellchecker doesn't say) of mc.

I'm not sure...admittedly...admitedly (TWO Ts HarM)

It may be all those languagge files you have hidden in there. In your head I
mean. <g>

> Personally, I've never made a point of vi or emacs, in that I've never used
> emacs and sort of look up to those that are able to use it:)

I try to avoid anything that isn't at the level of subconscious competence
myself. That leaves out vi for me. Don't look up to me, it was self defence,
enlightened self interest...some damn thing.

Besides I'm short and fat. (-;

> What I have noticed is that, at  PC Fairs or LUG meetings where there are
> "guru's" installing Debian , Slackware or LXFS on PC's the first you thing
> you get to see after initial installation is the "blue" mc screen:)
> Unless you've got the whole linux file tree inside your head you need an
> appp like' mc. I use "vi" in "init 1" for instance because I usually know
> exactly which files I have to edit (and otherwise <tab> is my best friend)
> and where they are, on a new system I prefer mc for overview....it's as
> simple as that. You'd be surprised how distribs can differ in their file
> trees despite the efforts to standardize.

Doesn't surprise me at all. I'll stick with Mandrake personally, but I'll
install or help to install anything. Almost.

For a hint as to what "Almost" means see the Fortune appended to my signature.
Random indeed....

 This machine is _bent!_

> Knoppix uses "links" to navigate the file trees, for instance but that has
> the drawback that you can't edit the files in the same app.
>
> BTW my friend, you are really going to have to put in more effort to get me
> pissed off:-D
>
> Good luck,
> HarM

I wouldn't attempt to piss anyone off HarM. Especially not friends.

If you haven't noticed I'll apologize to a stump if warranted.

Warm regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (RC1) for i586 kernel 2.4.25-0.pre7.3mdk
16:59:13 up 1 day, 6:21, 1 user, load average: 0.29, 0.19, 0.13
System Error - Virus 'MS-WINDOWS' found!! Erase [Y/Y]?