On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 9:41:52 -0500
Harold E Vine III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i did the install last night. i ran all the updates this morning.
> it was actually easier than a rh install, and i've run rh since the 2.0 days....up
> and including fedora. at that point i gave up. the bugs were unbelievable. i tried
> lindows and while the install went flawless, i didn't agree with the cnr thing one
> bit, especially for softyware that i KNOW i can download leagaly and freely on any
> other distro.
>
> so i tried mandrake, 9.2.
>
> i do have one small disappointment.
>
> real player plugins for mozilla were not installed automatically.
> so i'll have to do those myself. no biggie, but i noticed that lindows had all the
> video plugins already installed for mozzilla. that was a nice bonus.

But you have to PAY for it. :-)

> i am downloading the ut2k4 demo that was just released.

I'll have to check into that.

> i'm crossing my fingers that mandrake and i did the right install for the video
> stuff and that the 3d hardware drivers will work correctly. rh was NEVER able to do
> it, and i spent days, hours and weeks trying to get the right drivers installed, to
> no avail.
>
> i've just gotten to the point where my time is valuable and i want to enjoy my
> computer expeirences, not spend all my time fighting to configure something that
> won't work.
>
> so tonight, or tommorow, i'll install my ut2k4 game and see if its a GAME, or a
> slide show presentation (grin) :-)
>

> thanks for the help so far, and for the points y'all gave to make this install a
> particularly good one!
>
> in the default windowmaker environment, is it possible to add programs to the task
> bar (if thats what its called) that appears on the right side of the screen when you
> log in, on the desktop? i really hate digging through menus for the 6-8 programs
> i'll be using ALL the time, ya know what i mean?

WindowMaker is the default environment? It was KDE the last time I
checked. I personally use XFCE4. You might wanna give that a try, cause
it has a task bar like thing that u can add programs to, and even menus
to each program in it. That might sound a bit confusing, but visit
http://xfce.org for more information. Charles A. Edwards has the RPMS
for it at http://eslrahc.com.

> thanks!
>
> Harold, a convert to mandrake :-)

Nice to have you here.

John

--
Sat Feb 14 11:05:27 CST 2004

A witty saying proves nothing, but saying something pointless gets
people's attention.