On Tuesday 17 Feb 2004 6:11 pm, Christophe Rhein wrote:

> Le Lundi 16 Février 2004 12:13, Derek Jennings a écrit :
> > On Monday 16 Feb 2004 9:42 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I installed some packages from the Mandrake 9.2 discovery pack and then
> > > most of my desktop is gone... The menus are changed, softares are gone
> > > and I can not access as root. What shall I do?
> > > Same thing happend when I tried to install my printer driver.
> > > Thak you for your help
> > > Christophe
> >
> > Hit Ctl+Alt+F1  to get a text console. Log in as root
> > update-menus -v
> > will restore your menus
> > Ctl+Alt+F7 takes you back to X
> > Your menus will now work OK
> >
> > Visit http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php
> > Define yourself urpmi sources for 'updates' 'contrib', and 'plf'
> > Run your Mandrake Update GUI to get the latest updates.
> > In particular make sure you update the 'rpm' package, or else you will
> > lose your menus again.
> >
> > derek
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your help but why does the desktop change like this?
> I went to the link you gave me at the bottom of your mail but I didn't get
> it! What shall I do to limit the damage?
> Thank you
> Christophe

Its a bug!
The rpm package on the update mirror fixes it, but in order to get the update
you have to define an update source. That 'Easy urpmi' page gives you the
instruction to define a source.

Go to http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php
Tick the boxes for 'contrib', 'updates', and 'plf' and choose a mirror from
the drop down list for each one. Press the button and you will see three
command line commands to be entered.

To save you the trouble here are the commands to use :-

urpmi.addmedia contrib
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586 with
../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandrake/9.2 with
hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ with
../base/hdlist.cz

(Each of these 3 commands is on a single line)

To enter the commands open a terminal window and type su <enter> to become
root user. Then copy/paste the first command into the terminal by
highlighting with the mouse to copy to clipboard and press the mouse wheel to
paste.
So long as you are online you will then see a file being downloaded which is a
database of the contents of the online software repository.

Repeat for the other 2 sources.
You can then run Mandrake Update GUI to get your updates, or the Mandrake
Install GUI to install software from the online sources.
The 'contrib' source has 100's of applications not on your CDs, and the 'plf'
source contains all those packages that are illegal in certain countries with
weird laws.

This French language guide may help you
http://www.zebulon.org.uk/urpmi_fr.html

derek