> > On Tue February 17 2004 8:52 am, TheViking wrote:
> > > Ugh.. This really is beginning to annoy me. I've tried three
> > > different distro's now (Lindows, RedHat & Mandrake) and im
> > > back to Mandrake. Only problem is, whenever I try and access
> > > my HP 8100+ CD-RW drive it crashes

Lanman Thanks for your reply

TheViking's Problem is simular to my problem. I too thought that the
HP 8100+ CD-RW may have been built by SAMSUNG for HP. It may even
be the exact same thing as my SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B This is why I
added the discription of my problem to his. I have tried RedHat &
Mandrake

> On February 18, 2004 11:37 am, Ray Hogaboom wrote:
> > I am also having about the same problem with my SAMSUNG CD-R/RW
> > SW-408B drive but I can never get its contents to display. It
> > lock up my system when I put a data cd in or if I try burning a
> > cd.

>On Wed February 18 2004 9:48 pm, Lanman wrote:
> Just a suggestion here, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least
> to find out that the HP8100+ is actually manufactured by Samsung.
> I can't remember specifics, but I've had quite a few of those HP
> drives, and they've been nothing but trouble, especially in
> Linux, but also in Windows. Of course we all know that HP doesn't
> build their own drives don't we? Like a lot of companies, they
> just rebrand them, and slap a new front-end on their software.
>
> Their buffers are crap, and they tend to fail quite often. IIRC,
> the trouble is the firmware on the drives, but it's very tricky
> to upgrade without info from the manufacturer, and they don't
> like to give out that info.

You do have a very good point there as I have found that I can not
down load drivers or get any other info from Samsung for this
drive. I had my hopes up when I read that Samsung was going to
support Linux. But Windows XP does have drivers that work. I have
no problems with this burner when running Windows 98 or XP.

> You said it yourself Ray - 3 distro's of Linux, and the same
> problem with each. Odds are that it's not a driver module or flaw
> in Linux, but a problem with the drive.

No not a flaw with Linux or Linux driver module, just need the right
driver module or setting so that Linux knows how to make the
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B work. Other models of SAMSUNG CD-R/RW do
work with Linux. No problems with the drive either as it does work
flawless with Windows 98 & XP.

> That would easily explain
> why you're not getting many responses to your post. Other people
> aren't having that problem, so they don't know how to help.
>
> I suggest a Pioneer, or Plextor drive as a long-term replacement.
> That 8100+ is about 2 or 3 years old, isn't it? Depending on how
> much you use the drive, it may be time for an upgrade anyway.

This drive has not been used very much at all.

> Try borrowing another brand of drive from someone else and try
> that one out. As long as Mandrake detects the new drive, it's
> probably a sure thing that the problem goes away. It may not be
> the fix you had in mind but it should be a permanent fix.

When I had Red Hat installed, I installed an older  scsi card with a
Phillips 2600 burner and a cyberdrive 120S CDROM. There was
problems with these.. I then installed a cdrom out of an old
Packard Bell I have this did not work. When booting to Windows 98
or XP they all worked. I now have another cdrom in the computer
that does work with Mandrake

> Before you run out to the store to buy a new one though, replace
> the IDE cable, and see if the drive is set as a Master or Slave.
> Whichever it is, reverse it. If there's  a CDROM drive in the
> same PC, and on the same cable, reverse it's master/Slave
> settings at the same time.

I have tried the above

> Also, drop the DMA in the BIOS to 0 or off,

The only setting in my BIOS that has any thing to do with DMA is
under
Onboard Parallel Port is set to ECP+EPP
and under that is
ECP Mode Use DMA is set to 3 the only other option is 1

> and make sure that
> the IDE cable is attached to your Secondary IDE interface with an
> ATA33 cable, and not an ATA100 cable, or to the Primary IDE
> interface..
I am not sure how to tell between a ATA33 and ATA100. But I have  3
old computers 2 486 75Mhz and a Pentium 100Mhz that I could pull
cables out.

> Stick with the basics first, then try it out. Since the drive is
> screwing up whenever you attempt to access it though, I wouldn't
> hold out for that as a fix.
>
> Lanman

Again thanks for your help
--