On Thu February 26 2004 12:29 am, David E. Fox wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:48:49 -0500
>
> Lanman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I suggest a Pioneer, or Plextor drive as a long-term
> > replacement. That 8100+ is about 2 or 3 years old, isn't it?
> > Depending on how much you use the drive, it may be time for an
> > upgrade anyway.
>
> I've had good luck with a Toshiba combo drive. SD-1302, DVD-R &
> CD-RW.
>
> > Before you run out to the store to buy a new one though,
> > replace the IDE cable, and see if the drive is set as a Master
> > or Slave. Whichever it is,
>
> Good idea. But I simplified things a bit. I unplugged my existing
> CD-R drive (a Memorex) and just plugged its replacement using the
> same cables. No trouble having to figure whether it was master or
> slave, same positioning (/dev/hdc) etc. The biggest difficulty in
> using the new drive - the existing install hung on boot. That
> took some doing to recover from, to say the least.
>
> But as I see it, there's little reason to have both a CDR and a
> CDRW in the same system, unless you are doing a lot of
> duplication (which I am not -- the little I do I can get by with
> dd'ing or ripping off the contents of the drive, and then burning
> a new CD).

I have no problems with replace cables, changing jumpers, or
figuring out whether it was master or slave. About 2 years ago I
picked up a truck load of old computers and hardware for $150. Some
of the computer just had some simple problem. Some had parts
missing. Some of them I spent a littel time fixing then sold them,
mostly on eBay. Some went for scrap, others I am keeping for my own
use. I also got 2 of the very 1st portable computer ever made, both
in near mint working condition. I did make a very nice return on my
investment.

I will most likely go with a new combo drive. It will not be a
Samsung. It looks like they not support there drive for more that a
couple of years. I can not even get windows updates for this cd
burner. I does work fine with Windows 98ce and XP pro. so as long
as I have to have Windows on a couple of my computers I will have a
place for the Samsung cd burner.

--
Ray Hogaboom