Greg Meyer wrote:

On Thursday 19 February 2004 04:41 pm, robin wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good guide to rpmbuild (along the lines of the
old Mandrake RPM HOWTO)? In particular I need information on building
RPMs from source tarballs.

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/RpmHowTo

That's the guide I mentioned, which uses the old rpm command rather than rpmbuild.

Here's something I received from a LyX developer which could be adapted to other tarballs:

Take  the tarball, put it into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
put the spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and add latex-xft-fonts as a
dependency. Put lyx.xpm in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/
rpmbuild  -ba lyx.spec

RPMs are in /usr/src/redhat/{S}RPMS

Of course a lot of source tarballs won't have spec files, so you can have fun making your own dependency lists ;-)

Sir Robin

--
"The other major kind of computer is the "Apple", which I do not
recommend, because it is a wuss-o-rama New-Age computer that you

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533