On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:24:15 -0600
Chuck Mattsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Okay, I'm tearing my hair out and I have little enough to spare, so hope
> someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> I simply want to set up Evolution to use spamassassin on incoming mail.
> I've been to the spamassassin site, have Googled for others' accounts of
> getting the two to "talk" (which, everyone assures, is "easy"), and a
> number of other routes, but I keep, as usual, just getting little pieces
> of information from here, there and everywhere, and I end up with about
> 50 windows open and smoke coming out of my ears as I stare at snippits
> of info about .foward .procmail-something or other, blah, blah, blah.
>
> For a newbie, is there /any/ site you're aware of that will walk me
> through the setup, start to finish, without assuming I've been using
> Unix of Linux for years, and just step me through it?
>
> I /LOVE/ the speed and stability I'm getting here running Linux, but
> it's so frickin' complicated setting up anything that I'm about ready to
> shake hands with Bill again, so I can at least get /something/
> accomplished.
>
> Anyone? TIA
> --
> Chuck Mattsen ... [EMAIL PROTECTED] ... Mahnomen, MN
> Registered Linux User #346519

Chuck
I am not an Evolution user, but am going to try to help you anyway.

First make sure you have the latest version of Spamassassin from Charles Edwards'
download site
http://www.eslrahc.com/9.2/
To be able to install Charles's packages using your Mandrake Software Install GUI open
a terminal, enter su to become root user, then
urpmi.addmedia eslrahc http://www.eslrahc.com/9.2/ with hdlist.cz

This will add Charles' site as a software source for your system. Then use the Install
GUI to add spamassassin, perl-Mail-Spamassassin, and spamassassin-tools packages. They
will replace any existing prior version.

Now in your Evolution
Select Tools>Filters>Add

"Write a decent name for the filter. Then beneath the "If" choose Add and select "Pipe
Message to Shell Command." In the field to the right type in the command
/usr/bin/spamassassin . Then choose "does not return" and select 0. Beneath "Then" set
up what is going to happen to the letter classified as spam. In my setup I first move
the letter to a folder named Spam and then set the status of the message to Read.

I have chosen to have the letter moved instead of deleted right away because the spam
filter does make mistakes. Therefore it is in general a very bad idea to delete
letters without looking at them first. However, moving the spam away from the inbox
allows me to pay less attention to spam."

(The above text came from http://krath.dk/linux/evolution_spamfilter/ with some slight
modification)

Thats it!
Hope it works