On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:59:04 -0600
Chuck Mattsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's one of the sites I had chanced upon and have my filter set up
> that way (with the exception of marking spam "read")
>
> Thing is, and maybe I'm just under the wrong impression here, I thought
> this would run all incoming mail through spamassassin, adding headers --
> whether or not it classified as spam, just whether the score was
> "non-zero" or not -- but I see no evidence that anything's being
> processed.  No headers, nothing moved (which is okay, since I've not yet
> received anything really spammy), nada.
>
> I feel like I'm missing some -- probably/hopefully simple -- setup step
> somewhere.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Chuck Mattsen ... [EMAIL PROTECTED] ... Mahnomen, MN
> Registered Linux User #346519

When you defined the filter, the first pop up asked what did you want to apply the
filter to. If you select 'incoming', then the filter will be applied on all incoming
mail.

Then the filter itself will 'pipe' all mails through spamassassin. SpamAssassin will
add lines in the header which will look something like this for a 'non spam' mail

        RCVD_IN_SORBS autolearn=no version=2.63

This tells you which tests the mail triggered in Spamassassin and the final score. A
'spam' mail will have the mail body replaced with text describing what is wrong with
the mail. The original spam mail will become an attachment.

Calling spamassassin with the -e parameter will cause spamassassin to exit with a
return code of '1' whan a mail is spam.
The evolution filter is set up to move any mail where spamassassin returns 'non zero'
to the spam folder.

BTW: This will not work if your Evolution is set up to read mail from IMAP folders,
for the simple reason that with IMAP the mail stays on the remote host. To use
SpamAssassin with IMAP you should be looking at putting it on the remote mail server.

derek