On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:35:41PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> todd wrote:

> >>If my browser is open, the new-tab works fine, however the ping() fails
> >>to execute if there is no browser open, and for some reason that leads
> >>to the rest of the script not operating correctly - rather than the
> >>'else' part running.
> >>
> >>Maybe it's something weird with my set up.. but I can't seem to work it
> >>out - do you knwo your script works with the firefox release? Maybe the
> >>ping() is broken in firefox?
> >>
> >>thanks for any help you can offer
> >

> >I remember there being a problem with it in another release, but I can't
> >remember off-hand what it was. It's working fine here with firefox 0.8.
> >BTW, the return code of the ping is 2 if there's no open instance. What
> >do you get when you try the ping manually? ie
> >
> >/usr/local/firefox/firefox -remote "ping()"
> >
> >or whatever your path is
> >
> >and then try
> >
> >echo $?
> >
> >Todd
> >

> If browser is running, I get: 0
> If browser is not running, I get: 0
>
> Hmm.. but if I send the new-tab command when no broswer is open, I get a
> $? of 1
>
> I think therefore that I can use that instead. try for a new-tab, and if
> I get a 1 from that, to just open the URL.
>
> But the new-tab request fails, running the script at command line gives
> me a message of 'Failed to send command.' and the rest of the script to
> open a new instance just does not run :/

I'm copying the list on this one in case others are having the same
problem.

Sorry, I'm at a loss. Did you install a MDK rpm or d/l it from mozilla?
(I always d/l from mozilla.)

You might try the firefox forums at mozillazine. I haven't visited in
some time, but I recall that this topic comes up rather frequently.

Todd