From: Greg Meyer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 22 February 2004 2:54:am
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Installing 9.2 with the latest and greatest
(stable)

On Saturday 21 February 2004 09:24 pm, Thinker wrote:
> Ok, so if I go with a 9.2 install.. how can I make sure I get the
> latest stable kernel and kde/gnome desktop installed off the bat? Is
> there a way to do this?

Yes, at the end of th installation process, you have an opportunity to
immediately connect to an update server and download all the available
updates for the packages you have installed.

> I only ask about 9.2 because 10.0rcX isn't stable, and from what I am
> reading, it will not be possible to upgrade from the latest release
> candidate to the first public version, will it?

It will be very easy to update to final from the current release candidate.

That's what those of us that run cooker do every day.  You basically update
your urpmi sources and then simply

urpmi --auto-select

to upgrade all your packages to the latest.  Kind of like the old Debian way

of 'apt-get dist-upgrade' or whatever it is.

> If I am wrong about this, I would be more than willing to install the
> 10.0rc1.

If you install the release candidate, just set up a cooker repository as a
urpmi source and then update every day or so until 10.0 becomes final, and
then change the source to the official 10.0 tree and do 'urpmi
--auto-select'
one more time.

You should definitely update if you find some bugs, as they are being fixed
daily.
--
/g