On Saturday 28 February 2004 04:08 pm, Paul Smith wrote:
> > you can be victim of a cracker or some trojans but you can run
> > chkrootkit on a console and find out if any of the few trojans out
> > there are on your computer. So short answer, viruses are always a
> > thing to keep at the front of security but for now not a real
> > problem. If you have a linux mail server serving windows machines  as
> > in outlook or outlook express then there are several virus scanners
> > available to catch the nasties before they go to the mail boxes.
> > Short none technical but hopefully some help.
>
> Thanks, Dennis and Paul! Does not a firewall (I am using firestarter)
> prevent the action of trojans?
>
> Paul
Firewalls are a good thing if the manager is always vigilant and keeps an eye
on what is attacking the system. My feeling is sooner or later someone is
going to come up with an exploit that works. It will take a near genius I
think to do it but that is why I check logs at least once a week. I don't
have a heavy traffic system so that seems to be enough for now. Anyway, what
I am saying is  "do not worry, but do not drop your gaurd". HTH
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842