On Sunday 29 February 2004 3:04 pm, Marc Resnick monotonically droned on:

> I have libdvdcss installed already...and I can never get Xine to work. But
> I'm going to try to remove it then install it once more.

Sorry, Marc, Walt's right, Xine is the way to go, and since this isn't Widows
land, that uninstall/install trick isn't going to work.

You need to set up Xine properly to use the DVD codecs.

I have xine-flac, libxine1, xine-aa, xine-arts, xine-dxr3, xine-esd,
xine-faad, xine-plugins, xine-ui, xine-win32, libdvdcontrol9, libdvdcss2,
libdvdnav0, libdvdread3, libdvdread-utils installed.

For me DVDs work just fine in Xine, you just need to tell it where the DVD
drive is, and have most, or all of the above installed. Personally, I have
not tried to figure out exactly what is the minimum set of what I need to
watch DVDs, I just load the whole banana up and take it for a spin.

That's the big unfair thing about DVDs and Linux, that it is not legal for us
to use any program to decode DVDs other than the one built by the licensed
distributors and they haven't released a version for linux. So our hacked
together programs can't be legally preconfigured for us, and we have to
upload the stuff from overseas.

Piddle.

--

Linux: For the people, by the people.