Just add a line that looks something along the following to your fstab file the important part is the user option it basically allows users to mount the partition.

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hd ntfs noauto,ro,users,umask=0222 0 0

Pete Doak wrote:
Hello:

I have a windows 98 system on a hard drive that I would like to
make avaliable to my linux system. I have installed the drive in the box as the slave drive on the primary ide interface, and would like to mount the file system to gain access to it.

I'm having a problem mounting this Drive as a file system
accessable to any users other than root on my linux system.

I can su to root, and use 'mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd'
and that works fine, except that only 'root' can access the files and
folders on the drive.

If I try to mount the file system as any other user, it tells me 'only
root can do that', which is understandable.

Is there a way for root to mount a file system and designate a user as
the owner?

If you need any more info, just ask, and I'll provide it
Thanks in advance
Pete Doak