On Thursday 04 Mar 2004 01:13, JoeHill wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:08:02 +0000
>
> Derek Jennings disseminated the following:
> > Erm the lines " I am extremely new to Linux" and
> > "have tried to install GLib" ring alarm bells in my head.
> >
> > The Glib library is one of the most fundamental libraries on your system.
> > If you mess with it you are almost certain to break your system.
> > (Trust me I have been there)
>
> Are you maybe getting glib and glibc mixed up? In any case, doing 'urpmi
> libglib-devel' will definitely error out if the wrong version of glib is
> installed.
>
> ...but ya, installing any package like glib from somewhere other than
> 'official' Mandrake channels or from the CD's is to be avoided.
>
> Adrian, what is the version of glib you have installed?
>
> In a terminal, do:
>
> rpm -qa | grep glib
>
> You should see libglib1.2-1.2.10-11mdk and libglib2.0_0-2.2.3-1mdk or
> thereabouts (assuming you are running 9.2).
>
> Or was it even an RPM you installed from this Linux Format mag?
>
> What is the app you are trying to build with ./configure? Like Derek
> suggested, there may be Mandrake packages for it, which would save you a
> lot of time and trouble.

Sorry Yes you are correct. I saw Glib and thought glibc.
But I still would not advise a brand new newbie to mess with compiling Glib
when there is a perfectly good RPM package.

Compiling apps can be fun and instructive, but for newbies there are
considerably easier ways of getting the applications they want.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org