Well I followed all advice except backing up the system.  The result was
I screwed up windows and 9.2.  The best thing that has happened to me.
Windows XP wouldn't reinstall,  I also tried windows 98,  and 10.0rc1,
all wouldn't install.  So I reinstalled 9.2 and most everything I was
having trouble with suddenly cleared up.  I have now reformatted the
windows partition to backup and the 10.0rc1 to music and got 9.2 up and
running on a 100% windows free machine.  Thanks to all.
*******Black helicopter note********
There is a likelyhood that windows was responsible for most if not all
of my problems.  Has anyone looked at the code to determine if it
screws up linux on purpose.  I had determined that my windows problems
were mostly due to memory leaks,  maybe I was wrong.  Also 10.0rc1 wont
install with 9.2 since you cannot define a "/" partition, there is
already one.  I am sure that the rest are also undefinable.
--
Hoyt
Ignore the past and you will fail!