I will not cover the hardware details, I assume you are familiar with Master/Slave jumper settings and IDE channels. If not, speak up! I also assume you transfer the disk from one MDK box to another MDK box.

Linux uses the following drive identifiers:
/dev/hda is the Master drive connected to primary IDE channel
/dev/hdb is the Slave drive connected to primary IDE channel
/dev/hdc is the Master drive connected to secondary IDE channel
/dev/hdd is the Slave drive connected to secondary IDE channel

Once you have physically installed the drive in the new PC, boot into MDK, open a shell and, as root, type:
# mkdir /mnt/newdisk
to create a mount point in the new PC, then
# mount /dev/hdx /mnt/newdisk
to make the new disk visible under the new mount point. Obviously, you need to replace hdx with one of hda-hdd as outlined above.

Now the contents of the new disk is visible to root. Depending on the MDK configuration, you might also need to type
# chown youruser:yourgroup /mnt/newdisk
to make the disk accessible to your regular user instead of root.

It's a quick-and-dirty way, but it works fine for one time copies. No need to mess with /etc/fstab for this.

If things don't work, check as root the /var/log/syslog file for kernel errors. The drive, if correctly configured, must be recognized by the kernel even if not configured in /etc/fstab.

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Haiz newbie,

  how can I take ones HDD and add it to other machine and make it
  accessible without any lost of data.

  proble is that I have to copy large amount of data
  (more than 60 GB) :(  I love movies ;)
  form one PC to another.
  over LAN it can get to tiresome...

force, my friend, is violence!
 hugenots                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]