On Saturday 06 Mar 2004 21:02, Thinker wrote:
> I am following the advice given by Derek Jennings for updating 10.0rc1
> to full 10.0 release status.
>
> My question, before I 'urpmi --auto-select' is this..
>
> I am currently logged in to KDE and I am sure several other things are
> running. Should I get out of KDE and stop what services I can BEFORE I
> attempt to update everything?
>
> What is the safest environment to be in when updating?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -=Thinker

Well I do it while logged into KDE, and without stopping any services.
YMMV

If you are worried then do a backup before proceeding.

Note: If there is a preexisting config file in /etc which conflicts with the
config file from a new package the old config file will be left in place and
the new one will be suffixed .rpmnew

You should review these files after install is complete to see if there is
anything new which needs configuring.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net