On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 18:56, Daniel Anderson wrote:
> On Sunday 07 March 2004 07:28 pm, John Wilson wrote:
> > On March 7, 2004 02:18 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:
> > > On Sunday 07 March 2004 03:09 pm, John Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > John, what speed connection do you have? cable, t1, phone line, dsl?
> > > here is what I put in a command line as user not root:
> > >
> > > btdownloadgui.py --max_upload_rate 12 mytorrent-yourusername.torrent
> > >
> > > This will limit the upload and allow a faster download. Once you put that
> > > in it will ask where to save the files, I use the bittorent gui which
> > > makes it more user friendly for me. Not a cli guy so to speak. Anyway
> > > give that a try and see what you get.  Also is your computer on a LAN or
> > > stand alone? I had to open ports on the router for my set up. HTH
> >
> > ADSL, semi fixed IP, that is in theory I have a DHCP connection but I've
> > had the same IP for about 7 months now.  2048 down 1024 up.  Ports wide
> > open.  My box is my router so that shouldn't be a problem.  It could be
> > that things are just slow today.
> >
> > I'm only seeing 24 peers out there at the moment a decrease of about 40 in
> > the last 10 minutes and my speed has dropped accordingly.  Rough estimate
> > now is 2 and one half weeks.
> >
> > I know that SOME people are happy with this arrangement but for the life of
> > me I can't understand why Mandrake wants to put so many people off.  All
> > the posts about good speed are in the first couple of days after the distro
> > is announced and then the complaints seem to start because people take
> > their torrents down and leave us latecomers to stew in downloads that are
> > reminiscent of 300bps days.
> >
> > Whoops..down to 18 peers and 3 seeds...this is getting awful :-)
> >
> > ttfn
> >
> > John
>
> I'm seeing 97 peers and 41 seeds, dl speeds in the 70's and 80's. I set my
> upload limit to 13 kBs and opened port 6881 on my smoothwall. My only worry
> is I may be violating the terms of service agreement with the isp.
> Dan

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I too was getting horrible rates downstream, so I followed the
suggestion in the FAQ on the club site and forwarded the mentioned ports
on my router.  After doing that, I was sustaining 200-250 downstream.  I
did not throttle my upstream and it remained about 35-50.

I went to bed about midnight and got up at 0630 and I had the first
three images downloaded.  Fired off disk 4 & 5 and got those in about 2
hrs.

Troy