On Wednesday 10 March 2004 12:30 am, Chuck Mattsen wrote:
> Well, it took about 4-1/2 days via BitTorrent, but the download of the 5
> PowerPack discs for 10 Community finally finished earlier this evening,
> so they're burnt and installed (did an upgrade rather than fresh install
> ... yeah, I know, I can hear you already ;-)
>
> Anyway, on a positive note, now that my BT download is done and the new
> Mandrake version in place, /NOW/ I'm able to install the
> bittorrentshadows client and have my BT GUI.  (and, yes, I've got the
> two .iso sets up and available via BT now)... That went without a hitch
> despite its refusal to install earlier.
>
> So, /two/ annoying things ... maybe just one, but possibly two.
>
> First, some fonts seem a little odd ... just slightly off, like the
> kerning is set incorrectly.  My eyesight's not so hot these days, so
> it's hard for me to define exactly what's going on with them, just that
> they're "off" a bit.  I suppose I can play with those a bit.

Make sure sub-pixel hinting settings are to your liking.

> The other thing is that the menuing in the new KDE is different ... I've
> heard of others losing their menus and having to do an update-menus -v
> from konsole, but mine are there, just rearranged (which I expected to
> an extent, but some things seem rather odd, such as only Editors showing
> under Applications, and just WWW under Networking.  Some of the changes
> seem to be for the better (more intuitive), and others just seem odd to
> me.  Is my menuing fubar'ed, or do I just need to get used to the new
> arrangement in the updated KDE?

This was a redesign of the menu based on feedback from a vote on club where
womething like 92% of users wanted a more useful menu structure.  This was
the result.  See the release notes (which should be on cd1 also) here:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MandrakeLinux10ReleaseNotes

--
/g