I had a similar experience.  First, make sure you have a directory named
"/mnt/floppy"

Then, to resolve it, I went to a console and then typed:
"mount /dev/fd0 -t vfat /mnt/floppy" without the quotes

If the diskette is "ext2," then type:
"mount /dev/fd0 -t ext2 /mnt/floppy" without the quotes

If this works for you, then go ahead and create two icons on the
desktop...one to mount the floppy and vfat and another to mount the floppy
as ext2.

HTH,
Matt