On Friday 12 March 2004 03:34 am, Poogle wrote:
> On Thursday 11 Mar 2004 23:58, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 March 2004 01:21 pm, Poogle wrote:
> > > Thanks, but this was bittorrent, md5sums on the ISO's said
> > > O.K, I forgot to add in my original post that I had tried
> > > booting from CD 2 and then changing to CD 1 when asked,
> > > that gave the same result
> >
> >     Your iso's are only OK, _IF_ you check them before and
> > _AFTER_ burning.  Even then, before I mail sets to friends I
> > make sure CD1 boots an proceeds.
> >
> >     md5sum /dev/hd?    ... and then compare to the
> > appropriate md5sum in the
> > Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-........md5sums.asc
> >
> >     If they don't exactly match, first place to look is USER
> > choices (how did you burn?)... hardware (system, burner,
> > media used).
> >
> >    Is this with an nForce chipset based system? That's also a
> > poor USER hardware choice that has many problems. That many
> > problems such as this are often reported against.  See cooker
> > archive.
>
> Thanks Tom,
> I'm learning all the time,  Denis got to it with the burnfree
> issue, however I was unaware that I could md5sum AFTER burning,
> that tip will no doubt help in the future. BTW it's not nForce,
> it's VIA KT266.
>
> John

    You might need something different than what I posted, for
less than 10.0 systems.  Try 'md5sum /mnt/cdrom'  or
'md5sum /dev/scd0'   Actually it's best to use your burner to
read the md5sum, so use that /mnt/ or /dev/

    Yours is the first complaint I've seen where a nForce board
wasn't involved. Another issue is if the system has a SCSI CDrom.
So it's even more probable you've got a bad burn.   So try again
at a lower speed (Mandrake suggests 4x on the cooker page)

     cdrecord -eject -v speed=4 dev=0,0 -dao file_name.iso

   Once you've got 10.0 installed with a 2.6 kernel it'll all be
different, as ide-scsi is no longer used.  Run
  'cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus'   to determine dev=ATA:

    cdrecord -v -eject speed=4 dev=ATA:3,1,0 -dao

   and then with 10.0/2.6 kernel 'md5sum /dev/hdX'  is what to
use.  The burn option -dao is a must if you want to check the
md5sum. Absolutely do not use -pad or -data, or other options.

     I use driveropts=burnfree, but if it causes any problems,
it's better not to use it at all.  Particulary older drives when
burnfree first came out.   I'd suggest a thoro read of 'man
cdrecord' if any of all this is fuzzy to 'ya ;)
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American