On Wednesday 10 March 2004 04:26 pm, Aron Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 01:24 pm, Marc Resnick wrote:
> > rhein wrote:
> > > And one more...
> > > I red the instruction to setup a firewall. I use my machine since the
> > > first MDK installation with no firewall.
> > > In my case I had just to remove the "everything" cross and install a
> > > package. No problem until I tried to connect to the net or open a
> > > website. Nothing works.
> > > I go back to the firewall and click in "everything" and I'm back on
> > > the net.
> > > What shall I do?
> > > Is the firewall not just limiting the access to my machine?
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > The firewall is blocking all connections in and out, thereby limiting
> > any internet connection. Only block what you'll never use, or specify
> > ports instead. It happens to be a very good firewall. For instance, I
> > was talking through gAIM once, while playing with the firewall.
> > Suddenly, no communication. Interesting, how well it blocks
> > connections.
>
> For a starter you will need port 80 open for the web
>
> > --Marc

but thats only if you're running a web server. If there's aren't any
services being run on this machine then it doesn't matter. The firewall has
to be at least enabled in some fashion in order for the inet connections to
function correctly. Which is why the poster notices functionality when the
firewall is turned on, and no functionality when the firewall is turned
off.

By far the easiest and least troublesome firewall app I've seen and have
been using now since Mandrake 8.2 is Bastille. I've seen Shorewall, and a
bunch of the others; and have in fact tried them out. I always came back to
Bastille. It just works.
--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."