On March 16, 2004 12:20 pm, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 March 2004 17:30, Charlie M. wrote:
> > You won't lose everything HarM. The application does a "/tmp mount" (the
> > "r" switch for recursive means all and sub directories in the source and
> > target) of the images in order to do the sync. If rsync or the connection
> > crashes whatever has already been written is still there, so it isn't as
> > though you start over if that happens.
>
> It just did........I started rsync with the --delete flag than stopped it
> after a while (using ctrl-c)......leaves an empty directory. No hidden or
> partial files, nothing!

That empty directory is where the actual diff is happening. Did you leave it
there? I just ran a manual rsync on the cooker tree stopped it after it
started writing the second file. When I restarted it the sync picked up from
that file. Interesting. On ISOs the entire image will probably have to read
and the progress will have to show something above 0% before it would pick up
where it stopped. ISOs are still treated as one (very large) file. That may
be why I always rsync against complete directories, but it's been so long
since I started doing things this way I'd have to dig through a _lot_ of
notes to be certain.

> There was a partial file while rsync was running though.
> No harm done except some wasted bandwidth, I used copies;)

Sorry about your bandwidth. As stated above, on ISOs the entire source and
target have to be read before anything is actually written.

I'm truly sorry that I didn't make that clear sooner. Abject apologies HarM.

> I agree about the clean tree though...hadn't thought about files completely
> being removed or renamed. I should've as I've stumbled across the same
> problems with discrepancies between the hdlists and available RPM's, using
> rsync for the updates.

There are times during the cooker cycle that things are so screwed up that I
only run with the --delete flag once a week. I can afford the bandwidth and
space, bandwidth is (theoretically anyway) unlimited with my ISP and disk
space is close enough for guvmint work. <g>

> Always a joy sharing a thought or two with you,
> thanks,
> harM

Ditto my friend. You're good company.

Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Order and simplification are the first steps toward mastery of a subject
- -- the actual enemy is the unknown.
                -- Thomas Mann