> Did you run any software to let the system know you changed your grafix card?

It sounds like your X server might be using a virtual desktop.  Mine was
doing that a while back.  If you look in the /etc/XF86Config-4 you should
see something along the lines of

Section "Screen"
        Subsection "Display"
                Virtual XXX XXX
        End Subsection
End Section

If you comment out or remove the Virtual XXX XXX line you should hopefully
be back in business.

--Job