On Mon, 01 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> Sorry was rushing out the message and didn't notice the HTML formatting was
> turned on.

No sweat... :-) Now, for the "no route to host" question.... try
opening up a window and typing "nslookup <hostname>" next time you
get that "no route to host" error and see if you get that
information. What it SOUNDS like is a "ghost" connection where the
modem is still connected, but the tcp/ip traffic is dead. What would
cause that, I don't know.
I seem to recall reading some criticism awhile back about British
Telecom (your ISP.) Is it possible they are having network time-out
problems or their name servers aren't responding? One way to test
this out is to try to ping a host that is DEFINITELY outside of the
BT network.
There's a nifty little utility I came across awhile back and that my
boss swears by nowadays for diagnosing network problems (and it's
come in handy more than once for allowing me to tell customers that
the reason they can't get to a certain site is that sites along the
route, OUTSIDE our network are having problems... <G>) The util is
called MTR, which stands for Matt's TraceRoute. It's a combination of
ping and traceroute in one, and it's supported by KDE in the Network
Utilities panel (K -> Internet -> Network Utilities)
If you search for it on Linuxberg, you'll find it under
Console-monitoring. Or, the home page for that util is
http://www.bitwizard.nl/mtr/.
        John