On Thursday 18 March 2004 08:23 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 18 March 2004 13:15, Frank Bax wrote:
> > I have this problem with OOo 1.1 docs going from one Win98 system
> > to another - page breaks are not in the same place.  In our case
> > the original creator of doc had document fit on one page, on other
> > machines, the might be a blank second page, or one or two lines of
> > text on second page.
>
> I don't think it is confined to OOo - in fact I do wonder if it also
> happens with M$Office?  I have just had such a problem with Lotus
> WordPro files, long documents that need line numbering.  At first I
> thought that it was because my copy runs  under Win4Lin, but putting
> the files on another native Win98 machine had the same problem.
> Although the margins and fonts were set identically there was a small
> problem of line length which made the occasional line spill over.  It
> cost many hours of work, and I'm not satisfied that the results are
> safe.
>
> Which brings me to the question - just what could it be that changes?
> If it's really not the fault of OOo as such, what is it?  Is font
> rendering different on different machines?  It would certainly be
> useful to understand the cause of the problem.
>
> Anne

Anne:
You raise a good point. Back when I lived in Dilbert's world, I learned that
even moving documents from one installation of MS Office to another -- even
within the same version -- is not as simple as the MS advertisements might
lead you to believe. We would get templates from A Higher Level that required
some fudging so that they would print in the proscribed format. The usual
culprit was that the originator had either diddled his printer settings, or
was using a printer that had capabilities that were not available to us.

It was worse, of course, when the template was created using a newer version
of Word/Excel/Whatever than we had, since going from new --> old --> new is
never bullet proof.

-- cmg