On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 17:42, Tom Brinkman wrote:
----- snip ----->8
>  /mild but accurate rant
>    The problem was and isn't the cooker developement process. The
> problem was _users_ who wouldn't install the upcomming release
> until cooker reached at least the RC stage. BUT, by then it was
> far far too late.  This new release cycle (still every six
> months) might help, but I now see people now sayin, "I'm gonna
> wait for the 'official', 10.0-CE is nothin but RC2".  If I were
> them with that attitude I'd keep it to myself. What they're
> really sayin (to me anyhow) is "I'll let some others test drive
> the new release for me.  I'm not willin to take part in the
> community developed distro I use".
>
>    Anybody can test, and newbie confusion/user problems with the
> distro equates to a bug that needs correction. Plus the
> additional hardware base they contribute, as they're the most
> likely to buy/have hardware with little to no regard for/
> knowledge of Linux compatibility.  EG, the current 'CD1 won't
> boot' problem for some users.  With 9.2, the LG cdrom deal.
>  end mba rant/

I, for one, appreciate your rant.

As a newbie, both to Mandrake and to Linux in general, I've been a bit
confused about the varying attitudes toward cooker, the RCs and now the
Community download.  On the one hand, when a question is asked
concerning a problem a user is having, I often hear, "Well, a newbie has
no business running cooker," or, "What did you expect with an RC?",
etc.  I can see why some would shy away from anything but a full,
official release.

It's good to hear that some appreciate users' willingness to experiment
with the latest releases, whether newbies or more-seasoned users.

Of course, if the problem is brought to the list in the form of a
raving, angry complaint, then the "what did you expect?" response is
probably justified.  :-)

--
Chuck Mattsen ... [EMAIL PROTECTED] ... Mahnomen, MN
Registered Linux User #346519