On Friday 02 April 2004 08:30 am, JoeHill wrote:

> It's a mildly interesting statistic that Mandrake came out not so near the
> top, but hey, we're competing with Red Hat, Debian and Suse here, these are
> tough competitors, so I'm not surprised. They have serious financial and/or
> human resources backing them up, much more so than Mandrake.

Actually, I personally think that the more interesting aspect is that Mandrake
is much more cutting edge and current regarding versions of software than
either Red Hat or Debian.  Debian is known for its stability and the fact
that a lot of work goes into packages before they get released.  Also, which
version you are running.  The stable version of Debian would be considered
behind the times at least as far as versions of software go that are in the
distribution.

I don't know how Suse stacks up compared to Mandrake in regard to how cutting
edge the packages are.  But the more current the software, the more likely
you are to put out a package before all possible exploits have been
discovered.

Last, I would take with several grains of salt, anything that any of the
analyst companies put out regarding Linux and Microsoft products.  We have
seen several get bought and steer "studies" in the direction that MS wants as
well as refusing to release raw data.  These aren't exactly scientific
studies that are being done, it is very easy to steer the results to reach
conclusions that you want or at the least, to mediate bad results.  I note
that there aren't any Linux marketing funds, nor R&D budgets, nor companies
anxious to pay for information recommending Open Source products.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer