Hoyt Bailey wrote:
On Saturday 03 April 2004 13:28, Keith Powell wrote:

I have been looking to see if it is possible to get KPPP to
automatically disconnect a dial-up Internet connection after a
certain amount of time (say, 3 minutes) of inactivity. Having
searched all through the various Internet configuration files, I
can't find a way of doing it. Disconnection appears to only to be
able to be done manually.

If our dial-up connections could be set to be automatically
terminated, it would be a help. It would mean that we could leave the
computer downloading something, knowing that the connection would be
terminated a few minutes after the download had finished, rather than
having to watch for the download to finish.

Any ideas, please, anyone?

Many thanks

Keith

Also how about whenever a connection is required that kppp starts and auto dials the ISP in addition to the above?

I think the app you're all looking for is wvdial. You can set it to log you in automatically (even with ISPs that use terminal-based authentication), reconnect automatically, disconnect if idle for a specified period of time and a whole load of other stuff. It's not on the 10.0 CDs, but is on the mirrors. Just download it and edit /etc/wvdial.conf to your needs. No GUI required.

The only glitch is that it normally only runs as root. There are three ways round this (other than doing "su" of course):

1. Make it suid (never tried this);
2. Change permissions of wvdial, wvdial.conf and /dev/modem (or whichever device your system works);
3. Have it started automatically on boot (this used to work fine on 9.2, but is rather flaky on 10.0 - sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't).

Obviously you don't want to try option 3 if you're on a pay-per-minute connection! It's probably not advisable for situations where security is a major issue, such as a server, but then how many people run servers via a modem?

Sir Robin

--
"If the lion could speak, we would not understand it."
- Wittgenstein

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi