On Sunday 04 Apr 2004 2:09 pm, et wrote:
> On Saturday 03 April 2004 02:28 pm, Keith Powell wrote:
> > I have been looking to see if it is possible to get KPPP to automatically
> > disconnect a dial-up Internet connection after a certain amount of time
> > (say, 3 minutes) of inactivity. Having searched all through the various
> > Internet configuration files, I can't find a way of doing it.
> > Disconnection appears to only to be able to be done manually.
> >
> > Any ideas, please, anyone?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Keith
>
> is this for everone using the dialup connection? if so,,, add (to the
> file /ect/ppp/options) the line (without the quotes, as root) "IDLE=300"
> will give you a 5 min idle time before disconnection.
> also the command "man pppd" can be your friend too...

Many thanks for your reply and the information.

There's only one user here - me!

I have activated the "idle" line in the /etc/ppp/options file as you
suggested. It works.

At the moment I am using your suggestion, but I have installed WVDial (which
has an "idle time" setting) and am also trying that program.

I had not noticed that /etc/ppp/options was the file to edit. I must have
missed it when first checking through the Internet configuration files.

Next job is to read the ppd manual.

Many thanks again.

Keith