On Saturday 03 April 2004 03:15 pm, Marc Resnick wrote:
->I'll probably go and ask linksys about this too, but first I thought I'd
->turn here.
->
->I want to connect to my network with a static IP. I changed my
->ifcfg-wlan0 file, and made sure the ip addy wasn't within the dhcp
->range. Then, I ifdown'ed and ifup'ed wlan0, and got the IP.
->Unfortunately, I had no internet connection. So then I tried pinging the
->router, and it went fine. Then I tried getting to the http router
->settings. Went fine as well.
->
->Anyone know what the problem is?
->
->--Marc

Marc, on my setup here, I've got 192.xxx addresses assigned to our 4 comps. Ip
address .100 is my main comp, .101 is my 13 yr olds, .102 is my 10 yr olds
and .104 is my laptop.

I've got the ip addresses for the comps in /etc/hosts on each comp. I started
having problems when I was not the last one to logon with my laptop.
Sometimes it would grab a dhcp assigned address that was not the one I had
given my laptop in /etc/hosts. When it did this, I could use things like NFS
and ping,  but I could not get on the Internet. So I went into the settings
page on my Dlink router and assigned by ip address. This worked, as long as
the lease had not run out between logons. (or certain younger people are
grounded from their comps when they are bad! <grin>). The best way I found
was to assign by MAC address. I used ifconfig to check on all 4 comps then
assigned them in the filters section of my Dlink router.

This seems to have solved my problems - now no matter when I logon (after
everyone else or with no one else on) my Dlink router recognizes my MAC
address for my laptop and gives me one certain IP address, and all is well.

HTHs - or at least points you towards the problem.

--

                                                                       /\
                                                                 Dark< >Lord