On April 7, 2004 05:05 pm, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Guys,
> What do you think of this:
> "Because you run Mandrake, you didn't invest the 20-30 minutes that most
> Shorewall users do in learning about Shorewall during the installation
> process."
>
> That is a response I got in the shorewall list. I hate it. In fact, I have
> been getting those kind of views from many people in the Linux community
> when they found out that I use Mandrake.
>
> What's wrong with Mandrake? Does Linux have to be difficult so that we are
> proud to be called "Linux guru" by others? Does the easiness that offered
> by Mandrake make it's users lazy and stupid? I'm afraid this is the
> unpleasant stigma that we get in the Linux community.
>
> Boy, I hate this.

I've had this response from others on other lists and, by and large, have
learned to ignore it.  Sure, there are reasons to get down and dirty under
the hood of any system but for the average home user (which I'm not) this
isn't an issue.  So MCC sets it up for you?  So what?

One can be content with what MCC does or dig under the hood.  That neither
makes people lazy or incomptetant.  Most computer users will never become
gurus anyway. Most don't want to be.

As for that 20-30 minutes of learning that some of these people go on about I
daresay they haven't learned much.  I got that crack from a couple of people
I know in on IRC recently and had hacked through their firewall in a matter
of minutes.  Not hard to do when you realize that all they'd done was
moderately enhanced the example setups on Shorewall's site.

I will say I dislike Shorewall.  I dislike it's documentation.  I even dislike
the attitude of it's creator that anyone that doesn't understand it is
somehow mentally deficient.  It reminds me of the attitude of the creator of
MPlayer.  The difference is that MPlayer is a quality piece of work and
Shorewall can be replaced with another IP Tables scripting system.

As for holy wars about distros, well, I just lean back and giggle when I hear
SuSE and Red Hat users complain that they've fscked something while good old
Mandy ticks on and on. :-)

ttfn

John