Thanks for the suggestions, Anne.

> Does HardDrake say that it is using the es1371 driver?  I had a card
> like that in one box, and it didn't work with the SB driver, but was
> fine with the es1371 driver - mind, that was not 10, but still....

Yes, Harddrake says it's using the driver:
Vendor: âCreative Labs
Alternative drivers: âsnd-ens1371
Bus: âPCI
Bus identification: â1274:1371:1274:8001
Location on the bus: â0:a:0
Module: âes1371
Media class: âMULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

> Is aumix installed?  If not, install it, and check carefully.  Aumix
> causes or cures (not sure which <g>)a lot of problems.

No, aumix wasn't installed by default.  Just installed it now.  Still, no
luck.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] rory]# aumix -q
vol 59, 64
pcm 64, 64