Rory wrote:

I ran alsaconf and it's got me to the next stage. I now have sound!! If I run a CD, I can play music. However, the sound is drowned out with lots of white noise.

I had similar problems to yours with 9.2. I solved the cruddy sound quality problem by adjusting the settings in kmix.

If you open it up you'll find a number of sliding controlls labelled 0100
1001.

I got good sound by switching the third and the fifth ones off (click on green light at top so it's dark).

I have no idea why this works or whether it will work in the same way for you.

--
Graham Watkins

On the whole, I preferred cats to women because cats seldom if ever used the word "relationship".(Kinky Friedman - Greenwich Killing Time)

Registered Linux user number 265254 http://counter.li.org