rikona wrote:

Hello JoeHill,

Monday, May 10, 2004, 10:22:33 AM, you wrote:

J> "Microsoft's increasing concern over information security has
J> translated into its decision to bite the bullet and make its
J> upcoming SP2 (Service Pack 2) security patch available to all users
J> - including those using pirated copies of its Windows XP software."

All the better to track them down and sue them. :-)) Perhaps they were
impressed by the music industry legal crackdown.

J> Maybe, just maybe, the 'Net will be somewhat safer with all those warez kiddies
J> patched up somewhat...

Yeah, when they're all in jail. :-)))

M$ will NOT do anything without gaining some advantage. Always
consider how they will profit from it.

We already know that MS is terrified about losing desktop marketshare to Linux..
Why does this surprise anybody?? we also know that they take a relatively soft stance to windows piracy in emerging markets.. if people in those markets gets used to the "windows way" then later on when they are forced to buy the software, they will..

using the above, it makes sense that if those emerging markets don't have access to MS security patches.. they will experiance first hand the massive influx of virus's and cracks that abound for windows software, which will push them to find an alternative... something microsoft really really doesn't want to happen..

It makes perfect sense that they are doing this.. I find myself wondering why they didn't do it sooner..
It also makes sense that they are trying to put a possitive spin on it.. but you can bet your bottom dollar that if they were not up to their neck in current or impending competition from OSS, that they would be taking a tougher stance on it.

Two things I think are massively of benefit to the open source community:

1. Linux is open source, its the perfect tool to teach OS design in universities.. something you can't do with windows because the source isn't available in a format that would allow that.. so we have all manner of university grads comming though with an intricate knowledge of the Linux kernel, and they are the future CIO's and IT support personal... which is one reason why Linux is going mainstream so quickly.

2. Government uptake.. its happening the world over, either goverments are leveraging OSS to get better pricing from M$ or they are actively seeking an OSS alternative to prevent future lockin.. and goverments set precidents that the community (and business) generally follow. In both cases, that reduces the amount of money running into Redmond, which can only be a good thing.
Also, goverment IT managers can put together their own desktop systems with only those apps and tools that the users require, not the base windows, which includes all manner of things that cause bloat and potential security holes.. so they are happier then they would otherwise be.

Whats really going to start the ball rolling faster, is when places like Munich council releases their longer term costings based on their linux rollout.. if they are good. and there is a pretty good chance they will be very good.. then we can expect similiar rollouts the world over as a result.

FYI, SCO's stock price has dropped below the $6 dollar price. SCO have also closed their Poland office.
See: http://www.sco.pl/ for am insight to the future.

--
rgds

Frank Hauptle (aka Franki)

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com Free web developer resources.

Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html