i'm guessing that this happens when you are also logged on and youhave started
a second session, if you look in /etc/security/console.perms you will  see a
list pertaining to what permissions device get assigned when someone logs in
and the default perms when you log out, note that all the sound devices will
be owned by the first logged in user and stay that way if someone else logs
on in the meantime, to fix this you can comment out the relevant lines, and
then make your users members of the audio group, also make sure that you
alter the perms of the file to give the audio group rw perms, do this for
other device files that the other user might need access to, although this
works for me to allow my daughter to log on and play music, i would
appreciate if some expert could explain why it is that the references (in my
case) to the device files for my nvidia card don't need to be changed for
another user to log on, how does that work?

bascule

--
"Woof bloody woof."
        -- Gaspode the Wonder Dog