"I switched to that"

How do you do that?

And yeah, be as dumb instructive as you like 'cause I'm likely
to mess it up otherwise.

Ta

--
Regards

Frank

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Whether big or small, any challenge requires the same commitment.

Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:

I finally got my sound working under Mandrake 10.0 Official download. I have a Crystal Sound Fusion CS4610/1 sound card. In both CE and Official, this was recognized during installation. But when logging in, I always got a popup error saying that /dev/dsp didn't exist, so sound was being routed to /dev/null. Sure enough, no sound.

The default driver installed for this card is cs46xx. Sounded reasonable to me. But snd-cs46xx was listed as an alternative. I tried that and got some slightly different error messages during boot, but still the same popup, and still no sound.

I discovered during this that the cs46xx driver has been blacklisted by the kernel developers. It is known not to work! I have to ask, what is Mandrake doing, not only supplying a blacklisted driver, but making it the default? Isn't anyone paying attention over there?

Anyway, /var/log/messages to the rescue again. There were a number of lines in there about the sound card, but the notable ones were:

        kernel: create - never read codec ready from AC'97
        kernel: it is not probably bug, try to use cs4236 driver

Now there is no cs4236 driver available on the Mandrake install (though there is a cs4232), but there is an snd-cs4236. I switched to that, rebooted, and voila, I have sound.

It's a little messed up now, possibly due to the use of a driver for an older model of sound card. KMix is convinced that it's mono sound, even though it's actually stereo (I use Pink Floyd's "Money" to test stereo, nothing better for that).

With the default settings, the instrumental comes through okay on both channels, but the voice sounds like they're singing through a vacuum cleaner hose. When I tell KMix to split the channels and slide either slider down half way the voice starts coming through clear, but I lose half the instrumental volume on whichever channel I slid down. I set the left at 100% and the right at 75% and I get a reasonable compromise. I don't notice the difference in most songs, though on ones like Money that make heavy use of the stereo, I notice the reduced right channel instrumental.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to improve the sound, I'm listening. Otherwise, I'll live with it the way it is.