Title: RE: [newbie] NMB Problem anew...

As someone who went through this just last night (thanks Axalon!) I think I can help. There are three steps from where I think you are to you having a (more or less) working system:

  1. If you edit the smb.conf directly, you will see several "master" settings.
     You probably don't want Linux to be the Master unless you *really* know
     what you're doing. (Regardless of the warm and fuzzy feeling it might give
     you.)
  2. Also in smb.conf you need to find the "remote announce" property and add
     the subnets you want to see your box. (Typically, this will be your IP
     address and then change the last number to 255 -- that's a *really*
     gross oversimplification, but it should get you up and running.)
  3. So long as the HOSTNAME and DOMAIN in netconf seem to be correct you can
     probably get rid of the DNS server from hosts and just put it's IP in
     resolv.conf where it goes (DHCPcd should do this for you automatically).

That should get you up and running. Creating accounts and stuff is another matter. *I'm* still working on that.  ;-)

~Mike