> Mike Abney wrote:
>
> As someone who went through this just last night (thanks Axalon!) I
> think I can help. There are three steps from where I think you are to
> you having a (more or less) working system:
>
>   1. If you edit the smb.conf directly, you will see several "master"
> settings.
>      You probably don't want Linux to be the Master unless you
> *really* know
>      what you're doing. (Regardless of the warm and fuzzy feeling it
> might give
>      you.)
>   2. Also in smb.conf you need to find the "remote announce" property
> and add
>      the subnets you want to see your box. (Typically, this will be
> your IP
>      address and then change the last number to 255 -- that's a
> *really*
>      gross oversimplification, but it should get you up and running.)
>   3. So long as the HOSTNAME and DOMAIN in netconf seem to be correct
> you can
>      probably get rid of the DNS server from hosts and just put it's
> IP in
>      resolv.conf where it goes (DHCPcd should do this for you
> automatically).
>
> That should get you up and running. Creating accounts and stuff is
> another matter. *I'm* still working on that.  ;-)
>
> ~Mike

Dhcp already puts the nameserver IP in resolv.conf .  If I take my
computer name out of the hosts or lmhosts file, NMB [FAILS] at boot up.
I added the subnet to the "remote announce" , but I still can't see my
computer on someone else's NT box. In case I didn't mention this before,
My computer is one of two linux boxes on an NT network here at work.
The other box works fine, but it has a static IP address.  My smb.conf
file is configured the same as that computers, but I use dhcp to grab an
IP from the DNS server.  I'm not very fluent in networks, and what
little bit I do know I picked up as I've struggled with this problem. My
hosts file looks like this;
127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
"my nameserver's IP address"    "computer name" "computername+domain name"

My lmhosts file looks like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost
"my nameserver's IP address"    "my computer's name"

Anymore ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanx,
SA