On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 23:23, Greg wrote:

> >If you don't run NFS, shut it down on all runlevels.
> >
> >LX
> >

> So how do I shut down all run levels and even know if they are running
> I did not see it in top  Just what should be running for a basic linux
> box
> I may have some weak spots in my system and I want to find them before
> some one else does
> Thanks Greg

Find services that are enabled and put them in alphabet order:

chkconfig --list  | sort

Disable services on all runlevels that are resource hogs, security
risks, and not needed for workstation purposes:

chkconfig --level 2345 portmap off

Enable service that you disabled by mistake or that you just want on:

chkconfig --level 2345 yourservice on

Learn about the chkconfig command:

man chkconfig

HTH