I was experimenting with Knoppix 3.4 yesterday and found something of
interest - Captive NTFS. I clicked on it to see what it was, and found
something that many people may be looking for. It is a program type
thing that downloads certain ntfs driver files directly from Microsoft,
and uses the code to give linux full read-write support for ntfs
partitions.

I know that alot of you are completely against using any closed source
stuff at all, but it works like a charm. I now have it on my computer,
and have copied a bunch of music from my home directory to My Documents
on the ntfs partition.

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

It took me awhile to get it working correctly, so if anyone wants some
step-by-step instructions on how to get it working, just let me know.

John