Michael Tienhaara wrote:
Thanks Paul.  I do monitor cookies before accepting them.  Nevertheless
I often wonder if a cookie can double as a spy.

Michael

Op Fri, 21 May 2004 02:02:08 -0700 schreef Michael Tienhaara:

I've been following the recent thread about virus and Linux. Under
Windows I constantly had to search and destroy unwanted spyware apps. What are the risks of spyware and cookies on a Linux system?

I have never heard of spyware that runs on linux.

Cookies are a part of most browsers. Switch off cookie-support if you
are afraid of them, or use a cookie-manager to check what is in there,
I'd say.

NOt to any significant extent. A site can only store the kind of information it can get anyway (IP number, browser type etc.) and information you give it (forms etc.). In an insecure system, your cookies could be accessed by someone else (people in my office have left some fairly incriminating cookies on Windows) but there's no real danger of that on a properly set up Linux box.

Sir Robin

--
"Don't be lucid and ironic; people will turn this against you to show that you aren't a nice person."
- Albert Camus

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Universitesi