On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 16:35, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2004 22:15, Stephen Kuhn wrote:

> > > ...which is not entirely true, though. In filesystems like
> > > ext2, ext3, ReiserFS and XFS there is no need whatsoever to
> > > defrag, but in IBM's JFS is is recommended to do so now and
> > > then.
> > >
> > > Kaj haulrich.
> >
> > That's IBM for ya.
>
> Well Stephen, I must admit that IBM gets more and more of my respect
> these days, what with them supporting Linux, standing up against
> SCO and all that. That aside, their JFS (Journalling File System)
> is a legacy system inherited from OS/2 Warp. The defragging issue
> is a bargain pay for the incredible speed and stability og that
> filesystem.
>
> Kaj Haulrich.

Kaj, you are dead on right.  I just got thru testing JFS on some new
systems for some customers of mine, and I was astounded at the
responsiveness of the boxes after I got it installed.  The reason is the
super low CPU utilization of JFS; it does it's job on a par with XFS
speedwise, but yet consumes far less CPU cycles.  This gives a <2000mhz
machine a very snappy feel.  Snappier even than my 2k.

The next time I format, which will be soon, I'm going to see how JFS
performs on top of my RAID array.  I love XFS, but JFS just has too much
going for it.

By way of confirmation, please witness these latest benchmarks in Linux
Gazette which bear out what you are saying:

http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html

LX