On Monday 24 May 2004 03:54 am, Derek Jennings wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] aacplugin-1.1.4]# urpmf libfaad
> > libfaad2_0-static-devel:/usr/lib/libfaad.a
> > libfaad2_0-static-devel:/usr/lib/libfaad.la
> > libfaad2_0-static-devel:/usr/lib/libmp4ff.a
> > libfaad2_0-static-devel:/usr/lib/libmp4ff.la
> > libfaad2_0-static-devel:/usr/lib/libmp4v2.a
> > libfaad2_0-static-devel:/usr/lib/libmp4v2.la
> > libfaad2_0:/usr/lib/libfaad.so.0
> > libfaad2_0:/usr/lib/libfaad.so.0.0.0
> > libfaad2_0:/usr/lib/libmp4ff.so.0
> > libfaad2_0:/usr/lib/libmp4ff.so.0.0.0
> > libfaad2_0:/usr/lib/libmp4v2.so.0
> > libfaad2_0:/usr/lib/libmp4v2.so.0.0.0
> > libfaad2_0-devel:/usr/include/faad.h
> > libfaad2_0-devel:/usr/include/mp4.h
> > libfaad2_0-devel:/usr/include/mp4ff.h
> > libfaad2_0-devel:/usr/include/mpeg4ip.h
> > libfaad2_0-devel:/usr/include/systems.h
> > libfaad2_0-devel:/usr/lib/libfaad.so
> > libfaad2_0-devel:/usr/lib/libmp4ff.so
> > libfaad2_0-devel:/usr/lib/libmp4v2.so
> > vlc-plugin-faad:/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libfaad_plugin.so
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] aacplugin-1.1.4]#
> >
> > Thanks so much for your time.
> > You probably didn't figure I was quite THIS confused ! :)
> >
> > Gideon
>
> urpmf libfaad  will list all packages containing files with that string in
> them. As you see that are four different packages.
> libfaad2_0-static-devel, libfaad2_0,  libfaad2_0-devel and vlc-plugin-faad
>
> libfaad2_0 is the actual library. We know this because it contains the file
> libfaad.so.0  The 'so' means 'shared object'  i.e. a library. You need this
> installed to use any application involving libfaad.
>
> The  two  'devel' packages contain the header files of the libfaad library
> and are necessary if you want to compile any application that requires
> libfaad. The 'static' devel package is used when you want to integrate
> libfaad inside the application you are compiling so it is not necessary to
> separately install the libfaad package. This is known as 'static' linking.
> The other 'devel' package is used to compile dynamically linked
> applications where the libfaad package has to be separately installed.
> Dynamic linked applications are smaller in size than static ones because
> they do not need to contain all the dependency libraries.
>
> When compiling apps we normally use dynamic linking, so in order to compile
> your application install just libfaad2_0-devel.  You will also need to
> install libfaad2_0 in order to actually run your application.
>
> The last package vlc-plugin-faad contains a library to use faad with the
> Vlc media player  (available from plf)
>
> The fact that urpmq lists these packages at all means that your plf source
> is correctly set up. You can install them either using the software install
> GUI or from the command line (as root)
> urpmi libfaad2_0-devel libfaad2_0
>
> If the install fails, then it may be your database for plf is out of date.
> Refresh it with
> urpmi.update plf
>
> If you want to try out the Vlc player (which supports aac), then :-
> urpmi vlc vlc-plugin-alsa vlc-plugin-faad kvlc

Great, Thanks for the clear explanations.
I appreciate the primer.

> The fact that urpmq lists these packages at all means that your plf source
> is correctly set up.

Doesn't it show that those files are already installed on my HD?
I did do a refresh of urpmi. and Installed the Vlc player, which is working
fine.

I tried installing faad from the command line:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] g]# urpmi libfaad2_0-devel libfaad2_0
Everything already installed

Yet when I ./configure

I still get:

checking for main in -lfaad... no
configure: error: *** FAAD library (libfaad) not installed - please install
first ***
[EMAIL PROTECTED] aacplugin-1.1.4]#

Now when I do the ./configure
I am ussing the same folder that I tar(ed) before installing a bunch of these
packages.
Thats fine, right?  Its the ./configure command which is rechecking my system
to see if i have everything needed, and STILL NOT FINDING FAAD !

In addition, neither "libfaad2_0-devel" or "libfaad2_0" finds anything when
searching from rpmdrake.  I tried each of the three search methods, by name,
file name, and descritpion.  Is it not finding anything because I already
have them installed?

Gideon