These two pages helped me:

http://koala.ilog.fr/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/
and
http://www.deadman.org/X/xbuttons.html

Good luck.

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Brian Long wrote:

The problem is not left and right click, it's the extra buttons that
simply do not work.  Unfortunately it appears it's this way with all
distributions -- google for intellimouse and linux and you'll see
what I mean.  My scroll works just fine as it is right now, but I'd
really like to have my back and forward buttons working too.

You have to configure buttons 4 and 5 if I remember correctly.  I don't
thing the GUI tools that come with Mandrake configure them, but I could
be wrong.  X does support more then the 3 buttons and scroll wheel.

Mikkel