On Tuesday 25 May 2004 08:51 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>    in the dir the *.flac's are in. CD's produced from those
> (normalized wav's) files are impressive. So are the d/l size of
> flac files. Four or more times the size of correspondin mp3's. No
> wonder they sound better than store bought CD's.

flac's can't be better than the cd's they are ripped from because they are the
same as the cd's they are ripped from. Same with ape's.  flac's made from
mp3's cannot be better than the mp3 (in fact they will sound identical)
because restoring an mp3 to wav does not restore the data tossed out when the
original wav was converted to mp3.

flac and ape is a method of compression that does not throw out any data, so
they can be restored to the original wav.  BTW, I believe ape yields smaller
file sizes, but takes more processor.  I also find flac easier to work with.
--
/g