On Wednesday 26 May 2004 13:00, Video 4Linux wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a Samba server on my Linux Mandrake 10 machine. I've
> copied the smb.conf settings from the Samba Howto and look like this:
>
> [global]
> workgroup = Thuis
> netbios name = Linux
> printcap name = cups
> disable spoolss = Yes
> show add printer wizard = No
> printing = cups
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> valid users = %S
> read only = No
> browseable = No
> [public]
> comment = Data
> path = /share
> force user = bas
> force group = users
> guest ok = Yes
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> path = /var/spool/samba
> printer admin = root, bas
> create mask = 0600
> guest ok = Yes
> printable = Yes
> use client driver = Yes
> browseable = No
>
> I started the smb and nmb services which repsond both with [OK].
>
> But when I run the command smbclient -L localhost I get:
>
> session request to LOCALHOST failed (Call returned zero bytes (EOF))
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Call returned zero bytes (EOF))
>
> Note that because I want to share a certain partition with a windows XP
> machine /share is mounted at a FAT32 partition. No idea if that has
> something to do with my problems. I also cannot chown the /share folder
> (operation not permitted). It is now owned by root.
>
> Help is very welcome.
>
> Bas

Did you try with the default smb.conf file?
Samba works "out of the box" in mandrake. The only line you have to change is
workgroup =

There is a copy of the default file at usr/share/samba

The reason /share is owned by root is because it is FAT32 and has no perm
bits. It will have the permissions defined in /etc/fstab and will default to
whoever mounted it (root)  You need to set the uid=value and gid=value
options in the fstab line. You might also like to set the umask= option as
well See 'man mount'

Mounting the FAT32 partition at /share may not be a good idea. The msec
security system expects everything under / to be owned by root and will try
to alter the perms. Being FAT32 it will not be able to, but all the same a
better location would be /mnt/share.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net