On Thursday 27 May 2004 12:00, Video 4Linux wrote:
> Can you read/write on a EXT2 FAT with a Windows machine connected to Samba?
> I thought that FAT32 was required for that? But maybe I'm confused with
> sharing a partition with a dual boot machine with Win and Linux (which I
> don't have).
>
> Bas

The remote Windows machine neither knows nor cares what file system the host
is using.

The server can serve any type of file system to clients using Samba.
The only thing you have to worry about is the permissions. A Samba client can
only read/write to folders to which they have permission.

For example a Samba client 'fred' cannot write to a Linux folder owned by
'joe' unless the appropriate permissions are set.

This is true for FAT32 partitions as well as Ext3 (there is little need to use
Ext2 anymore).  But because a FAT32 partition has no concept of permissions,
when Linux mounts a FAT32 partition it will apply the permissions defined in
your /etc/fstab file to the entire partition.

If you want all your Samba clients to be able to read/write to a FAT32
partition you must set the option umask=0  in the line for that partition in
the fstab file. This makes the perms 777 and anyone can read/write to the
partition

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net